Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, August 26, 2005

Mr. Clean

Now here is a good one.
Pat Boone shreds Cindy 'peaceniks'Music legend says U.S. 'sitting duck' for next 9-11 with message of peace
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45958
Pat Boone is the symbol to me of a particular form of ignorance that I see as characteristic of certain American Christians. I've seen more of these people than I've actually met, but I've met a few in person. "Mr. Clean" really does characterize them. But I find it interesting that even in this small article, this topic came up:

Outspoken about his Christian beliefs, Boone explained why he thinks most of his colleagues tend to lean leftward in their political stances.
"Folks in the entertainment business don't want anyone telling 'em what they can or can't do," referring to God.

If I am reading this correctly, Boone is suggesting that the left consists of people who don't like to obey while the right is the obedient.
Actually, that fits pretty well with the book I'm slowly reading, Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think. But I'll leave that for another day. Pat Boone, in my mind, is a master of the art of actually not thinking. That's my point for today. There are American Christians whom I have met who generally seek recognition from others through their Christianity who simply could never be accused of thinking anything through critically. The men in particular are handsome, somewhat aloof but yet friendly, and very respectable, at least on the surface.
The one trait that seems to best characterize them is that when you talk to them, it is as though you are talking to someone who is blind. It is as though they don't see your face, can't see your eyes. They look through you instead of looking at you. They can't see what you are seeing. They only see what they see. So, just like with Pat Boone, these Christians look at you with a blank smile on their faces, a smile that says, "Don't even bother. My mind is not functioning."
I swear, these people are out there just looking for ways they can tell you that you need to obey everything. I swear! And for many years now, the face of Pat Boone has symbolized for me that kind of Christianity. In my head, I see Pat Boone's face whenever I meet someone like this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly, anyone who does not agree with you must be insane. There is no other explanation.

2:04 PM, August 26, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

That's a convenient cop-out. But that's all it is, a cop-out.

8:51 AM, August 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill calling someone else stupid is pretty ironic.

3:33 AM, September 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home