Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, January 06, 2006

Five Points

I should have been taking notes last night watching the news on PBS. They interviewed two people who had attended President Bush's war consultation. One was Republican James R. Schlesinger, career bureaucrat under Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Bush Jr. The other was Democrat Madeleine Albright, 64th Secretary of State. After the interview, I jotted down five important points made by Schlesinger. I'm not working from the transcript, only from my aging memory, but here's what I gathered from him:
1. The Bush administration knows how to walk and chew gum at the same time.
2. With respect to Iraq, the happy talk is over. We'll be hearing it the way it is from now on.
3. These Islamists want us all dead.
4. We can't pull out of Iraq without seriously harming America's national security, but if we stay in, there are "no guarantees... no guarantees..."
5. Comparing the Iraq War with World War II, there have been nowhere near enough American casualties yet for anyone in the US to be concerned. In one day in World War II there were five times as many casualties as we have had in the entire Iraq War. Mind you, I might have gotten this one wrong. Schlesinger was squeezing this point in at the end of the interview but it had to do with five times something about World War II.
I thought, "Oh wow! So this is how we should be seeing things now! What an enlightening interview! That sure bolsters my faith in the Bush administration!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home