Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, May 21, 2021

Daily Bread

 My mother, bless her soul, always had copies of a small publication called "Our Daily Bread" hanging around the house. I never read it but she also baked bread from time to time, usually oatmeal bread and I remember how chewy and delicious that bread was fresh from the oven.

I baked my world-famous organic whole wheat and honey bread yesterday. I've been baking this bread off-and-on since I originally found the recipe in an Adelle Davis book in the early 1970's while working at Bath Iron Works as a stagebuilder. I say "world-famous" since my recipe still exists, I hope, here in this blog on the World Wide Web, not for any other reason.

Ever since the anti-wheat movement took hold I have wishfully thought that my bread was the exception, not just because it was whole wheat, not just because it is, in my mind at least, the healthiest food that enters my mouth, but because I use organic wheat. Lately, there have been an increasing number of articles about wheat and wheat products containing glyphosate. I've written about this before. In theory, organic wheat should not be grown with the aid of glyphosate-containing weed killers.

Now there's this:

Eat at your own risk: Almost all grains in US contaminated with glyphosate herbicide

This article attempts to confirm a fear that I have, that even organically grown wheat flour can contain glyphosate.

That article contains a ling to this:

Study reveals Bayer’s Roundup linked to “a host of chronic and mental illness”

When you say your prayers tonight, pray that the world will come to its senses and ban glyphosate. I really don't like knowing that I eat it.

If you aren't aware of the effects glyphosate may have on your gut microbiome, which you depend on for your physical and mental health, go do some research about how glyphosate was originally intended to be used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home