Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Monday, October 04, 2004

Inverted Reality

I am reading a book by David Brock called The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy. It's slow reading for me. My daughter read it first. She is an excellent reader but even she complained about how hard it was to read and especially how hard it was to get started, to get into it. I'm only on page 70 and I've been at it for at least a couple of weeks.
The first 69 pages are spent introducing a dizzying flood of names of conservative politicians, media celebrities, think tanks, and wealthy financiers. But I just came across an interesting term, a concept that I have been framing for over a year but didn't know what to name it. Brock is writing about the Heritage Foundation and other conservative "spin-offs" and how they were meant to mirror more mainstream "liberalism." Speaking of the so-called liberal groups, he writes:
As small-d democrats, they rarely acted in top-down unison and were for the most part organized around single issues, not around broader ideological work or sustained critiques of conservatism. Many of them, like consumer advocate Ralph Nader, had immense media flair, especially in the 1970s. Yet because they did not conduct their issue advocacy behind the walls of think tanks, the liberals stood accused by the Right of representing "special interests" over the public interest, in a complete inversion of reality.
The suggestion of inverting reality is what caught my eye here. It seems to me that this is a technique very frequently used by conservatives when they point fingers at their foes. For instance, one conservative thinker who reads some of my stuff recently suggested that I "stop trying to claim a moral high ground that you will never possess." This from a man who associates his own political thinking with the "Right" with a capital "R." Accusing me of attempting to be moral is about as funny as it gets. The "Moral Majority," as you may recall, left me standing in the dust many years ago when it transformed the Right.
Or there is the one where the Bush war hawks like to speak of the Iraqi resistance fighters as "terrorists" as though "shock and awe" aren't terrorism.
I'll have to keep my eyes open now that I have a name for this practice. Inverted reality... That's a good one...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh...yuo do realize that David Brock was a right wing hit guy until he got burned on a deal? And now yu quote him as an authority while dissing me? You folks are easy to please...

8:01 AM, October 05, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home