Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter

For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about Christianity, about what I always assumed to be a religion of truth. Blame Dan Brown for that. Ever since I read The DaVinci Code I've been realizing that the underlying truth of much of modern religious symbolism is hidden from us, masked to suppress the actual meaning.
Take Easter, for instance. This year Easter is in late March and Passover in late April. Yet Jesus was executed on the first day of Passover. For Christians, his blood represented the blood of the lamb which marked the doors of the enslaved Hebrews in Egypt when God exempted families in homes so marked from the execution of the first born males of Egypt. Jesus death was the ultimate sacrifice. Yet instead of celebrating the death of Jesus on the first day of Passover, Christians celebrate it in conjunction with "Easter" named for Pagan goddesses. The pagan holiday celebrates the fertility of springtime, as in "estrogen," the fertility hormone. Easter is officially on the first Sunday on or after the first full moon following the spring equinox. Nine months after the spring equinox is the winter solstice, the natural event associated with the celebration of Christmas, another Pagan holiday.
Jesus was a Jew and his sacrifice is said to have been on the first day of Passover, so if "Easter" is about Jesus, why is it celebrated on a Pagan holiday rather than on Passover? And why is the last place anyone would find the truth about this inside a Christian church? What, is God not truth?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate hearing your doubts about Christianity based on the lies of The DaVinci Code. That book is full of lies. Check this guy out. He will help absolve any doubts.

http://store.khouse.org/store/catalog/DL110.html?;;KHAR-532

I also recommend listening to the audio from his 66/40 broadcasts. It contains much useful knowledge.

Peace my friend!

-Meyvn

11:07 AM, March 27, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Debunking a novel makes just about zero sense to me. Generally nobody attempts it because they understand the concept of fiction vs. non-fiction. The DaVinci Code is fiction and I have yet to meet anybody who doesn't realize that. But what Dan Brown books do is they make an uninformed reader aware of religious symbols and the supression of truth by religion. Reading The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons was frustrating to me because I had no way to know what was true and what was fiction other than through thorough research which takes time and effort and doesn't always lead to the truth.
But the one thing those two books really did to me is they made me realize that I have to stop making assumptions based on people telling me I need to believe something. The truth is that I need to start asking questions. I need to discover what is being suppressed and why. And I need to uncover the real meanings behind Christian traditions. Just today I had an opportunity to see a Christian mob ready to virtually tar and feather a pastor who is trying to get his congregation to explore deeper into the meaning of Christian faith and tradition, to separate their Christian love from the love of dogma, to dig deeper than just the surface understanding that is passed around in fundamentalist (and I would say legalist) churches. Why is it so important in Christianity to hide the truth?

7:32 PM, March 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home