Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Uric Acid, Gout, and Tooth Decay

New to me recently is a rapid acceleration in tooth decay especially along my gum line resulting in tooth sensitivity and pain. I am, or at least was until this week, a smoker and I have been guessing that my smoking has been a contributing factor but I have smoked regularly, though not heavily, for twenty years. This tooth problem has only been in the past maybe two years and has been accelerating.
Recently I have also been having other physical conditions that I associate with what I now refer to as gout although gout is a loosely defined term. There may be better terms for my condition although I haven't discovered any. Hyperuricemia is one of those other potential terms. Both have to do with the body's failure to properly dispose of uric acid which is a byproduct of eating and digesting meat protein. Several years ago I had severe physical pain and disability that I concluded was the result of eating too much meat and quite likely having a compromised liver or kidney condition. I barely drink any alcohol which is a well known contributor to gout so I'm guessing I'm just not meant to eat much meat. Gluttony for me seems to be a fatal habit.
So what I'm saying is that there seems to be a correlation for me at least between my gout symptoms and my tooth decay. So I asked my dentist today if he was aware of any correlation between the two and he answered that he was not aware of any correlation.
So this evening I did some Googling and what do you know, a 2018 study seems to have identified for the first time ever (according to them) just such a correlation.
Here are two links to the report from this study:

On Karger dot com in html format...
Analysis of Oral Microbiota Revealed High Abundance of Prevotella Intermedia in Gout Patients

and a downloadable PDF version of the same report...
https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/493626

In my Googling I also came across articles relating rheumatoid arthritis to gum disease and tooth decay. I'm guessing there is a similar microbial relationship there as well.

So guess who will be avoiding turkey next week, eh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home