Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, January 03, 2020

Define Faith

The word "faith" when used in respect to a religion is one of those English-language words that have no actual definition. It's a word like "salvation" and "spirit" and "soul" and "forgiveness" and dozens of more such words, God, for instance.
"Faith" is used extensively in Christianity. I wondered and wondered for decades in and around Christianity what the word actually meant and how it related to English-speaking people's general use of the word. I mean for instance our faith in science. How is that any different than having faith in a religious worldview? I mean, it must be used a different way. People who have a science-based worldview without a God use the word "faith" as a slur. How can you have faith in science and use the word "faith" as a slur? Always was a problem for me trying to make that out.
But I had my mind on something this evening and it led me to the word "faith" and a meaning came to me. I wrote it down. Here's what I wrote:

Faith
The willingness
to join in support
of a consensus judgment
of the truth
of an unproven claim.

That seems to be a meaning that fits all occasions. I like it.
There is a Catch 22 though that people won't like:

 If you have faith that the claim you make is proven, that's just cheating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home