Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Big Moose Pffffft

Back when I was young and 1984 hadn't happened yet there was this mountain in Maine called Squaw Mountain. Then Squaw was cancelled, one of the early victims of Communism in Maine. The word "squaw" is offensive, they said. Pft, gone, lost forever.

The problem is there was this ski area on its north-facing slopes and the ski area was also known as Squaw and the people of the area liked the name "Squaw" and didn't find it offensive at all. I mean wasn't there some legend about an Indian - oh, sorry, I meant Native American or First Nations or whatever is the least offensive name at the moment - maiden? Some day the locals are just going to have to face the music and quit using that offensive word Squaw for the name of that ski area, aren't they?

Some day "Squaw" will be lost.

Now, wise people somewhere did change the name of the mountain itself to Big Moose Mountain. I doubt that the name selection was done by any kind of fair popular vote and besides, no doubt some day someone, some group of animal lovers or something, will be offended that the name of Maine's most majestic and ugliest animal is being used to name a landmark, let alone a commercial enterprise. Besides, Big Moose Mountain Ski Area? Are you kidding me? That name is as ugly as a moose!

A thought... Since Squaw is lost, doesn't it follow that "Squaw" should be "Lost"?

Lost Mountain Ski Area - That has a ring to it. Lost Mountain Resort. How about Lost Legend Lodge? And the bar could be The Lost Maiden Lounge!!!

Lost Mountain. I like that. Not sure Little Moose should be Little Lost though. I wouldn't just be a little lost about that name. I'd be a lot lost!

A clarification: By "lost" I don't mean to suggest lost as in I lost my way or a lost hiker or, "I'm lost. Can you give me directions to that ski area up there near Moosehead Lake?" I mean lost in the sense of lost liberty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home