Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Saturday, March 09, 2024

Seriously?

Regarding Thursday evening's State of the Union address, I have noticed a couple of comments that claim there was no presidential seal on the podium where Biden stood giving his address.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but wouldn't it be normal for that seal to be on the front of the podium during such a speech? Is it normal for the seal not to be on display during a State of the Union address?

I did just go looking for confirmation about this claim and sure enough, the podium doesn't have the presidential seal on it. See for yourself:

Tears, jeers and other behind-the-scenes moments of President Biden’s State of The Union address — PHOTOS

Now I'm no different than any other guy in that I'm usually wrong when I jump to conclusions about something like this. Maybe it's just normal decorum for the House not to recognize the seal during a State of the Union address. That doesn't seem likely, but maybe so. I should look back and see if the seal was on the podium when Trump was President and Pelosi was in charge of the House. And if not, how about before that since Pelosi obviously officially held President Trump in disdain. Maybe she set the precedent?

What gives?

Ah! Coverage of the 2018 address has no seal on the podium with Trump speaking with a Republican controlled House. So my knee-jerk reaction was false.

Hmmm, 2014, Obama, Republican House - no seal on the podium

2008, Bush Jr. President, Pelosi House, no seal on the podium

1998, Clinton, no seal on the podium

1984, Reagan, Gingrich (Republican) House, no seal on the podium

So much for that theory I guess. What gives?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home