Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Monday, September 23, 2024

Cooking Oil

I cook... sometimes... and I fry stuff - me bad, right? But there's been this thing about cooking oils being unhealthy. I remember one time I had a bag of corn chips that had gone stale, so I had this brilliant idea to recover the calories by putting the whole bag in the woodstove. Just one bag... I nearly burned down the house! The inferno was unreal and out of control - inside an airtight woodstove no less. It wasn't the corn that caused the inferno. It was the oil in the corn chips, the fat, the enormous amount of fat in just one bag of corn chips.

I do have a problem with my weight, a lifelong battle with it. I've never been able to embrace being fat as an entitlement the way so many Americans now do, a human right basically. Obesity isn't a human right. It's an aberration.

I long ago ruled out Crisco and margarine - hydrogenated oils - as a cooking oil. If I go to a bakery and buy a doughnut cooked in hydrogenated oil (as most seem to be) I am sickened by the sensation of a thick greasy slime in my mouth. I hate it!

Eventually I settled on using a high-heat olive oil for frying. It's not cheap to buy but in the past couple of years the price of olive oil has gone through the roof. My favorite brand for frying went from occasionally being under $10.00 a jug (a quart or so) to now being well over $20.00 a jug and the size of the jug is considerably smaller (Bidenomics at work).

So I've been looking for an alternative. Soybean oil is out - the "soy boy" concern. But these days almost all cooking oil seems to be canola oil and despite my wife's warnings I have some on hand. Organic canola oil is expensive, but regular non-organic canola oil is cheap to buy. And it works.

But check out this gabby discussion:

The Truth About Seed Oils and the Disgusting Way Canola Oil is Made, with Dr. Casey Means

What to do!?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home