Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Moral Politics

This week I purchased the book Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think. The author is George Lakoff, a professor of linguistics at UC Berkeley. I've only begun the introduction, but I just found this link on the Internet:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/10/27_lakoff.shtml
I have an idea that this summer is going to be an important one in my life in terms of finally framing my thoughts about this division of thought between the conservative model (the strict father) and the liberal model (nurturant parent family). I must admit that as a father I have seen myself in both of these models so I think it is just about time that I began to understand the difference.
The book Moral Politics was published before Bush won the 2000 election and republished in 2002, but I think it will be interesting to back up just enough to escape the post 9/11 mentality and peek back into where our minds stood when Bush first came into the national scene. I need a good book to read this summer when I find the time to relax and lay naked in the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home