Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Philistine

A week or two back I heard a report on the TV that North Korea had called President Bush a "Philistine." That stuck in my head because I didn't know the significance of the term. I wondered what was meant by it and how North Korea thought it applied to Bush. I wondered if there was some inference to the Philistine people spoken of in the Bible.
Here's a Yahoo news report on the incident:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050430/pl_nm/korea_north_bush_dc
Today I looked up the term Philistine in the online encyclopedia Wikipedia and was referred to the term Philistinism. I can see now why one might use that term to describe Bush.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050430/pl_nm/korea_north_bush_dc
But I'm ashamed to say that for most of my life one might have used that term to describe me as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home