Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Turning Back the Hands of Time

In one of the blogs that I read daily, I found this link to a Creationist website:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp
and this quote:
"You see, no matter what is found, or how embarrassing it is to evolutionists' ideas, they will always be able to concoct an 'answer' because evolution is a belief. It is not science—it is not fact!"
If this isn't a reality inversion, I sure would love to know what is...
But in any case, it is interesting that some presumably educated people on this planet really do still believe that the earth and all of the universe were created about 6,000 years ago and that all of the fossil record is attributable to that time frame.
This seems to add credence to the Buddhist theory that we create our own reality.
But in fact, what it really does is it turns back the hands of time to an era when nobody had any evidence that conclusively challenged the literal interpretation of the Bible. It dismisses without comment all of the scientific time clocks. And it does this for only one reason, to invalidate any claim that the Bible is not meant to be read in any other way than literally.
Go for it, you good Christians, you sons and daughters of God. Have your own separate reality. Enjoy yourselves. Worship your holy scripture. But count me out.
Leave me in the one reality that matters, the reality that is the true God. Study all your delusional Pharisees, your gods of knowledge, but be content to keep all of your illusions to yourselves, please. Keep your church separate from our state. Take your churches back in time, but let our nation advance if we so choose. Please? Allow the truth to present itself.
In other news...
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ORGASM_GENES?SITE=ASIAONE&SECTION=HEALTH&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you not open to the possibility there may be some truth in both the Bible and the theory of evolution?

What happened to you to make you so angry and declare this war on God and Christianity?

12:55 PM, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Haha... Anonymous, think of what you said here. "some truth" is not what right-wing Christians claim about the Bible. Your leaders would condemn you for suggesting that. It isn't about "some truth." It is about absolute truth. While your leaders claim that the Bible and the Bible alone is absolute truth and thus justify their own ignorance of real truth, I look for a higher truth. I am not prone to believe consensus thinking on Biblical meanings. Read my words here very carefully if you wish to see where I am coming from.
To answer your question, yes I am completely open to the probability that evolution had an intelligent guide. I just don't buy the theory of Biblical literalists.
And I resent the accusation that I have declared war against God. In fact, through my eyes it is the Christians themselves who have declared war against God. Modern right-wing Christianity bears troubling resemblance to the Pharisees of Jesus' day. Today's right-wing Christian leaders are blind shepherds leading their flocks to slaughter.

8:46 AM, June 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you acknowledge the presence of God, but have come to the conclusion that He must have limited powers and could not have possibly created the universe in 7 days. That makes sense.

And who do you think you are to claim your belief is the "higher truth?"

11:58 AM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Wait, now is this 3rd comment the same anonymous person? If so, then yesterday there was "some truth in... the theory of evolution" but today it is 7-day creation? What gives with that flip-flop?
And where do you get the notion that I claim that my "belief" constitutes some sort of "higher truth?" I said that I "look for" (as in "seek") a truth higher than that derived by literal and misguided interpretation of the Bible. Look up the word "seek" if you are having a problem understanding what I am saying here.
By the way, since you bring up the subject, who do you think you are to think that your belief is the ultimate absolute truth? You are the one who "believes" aren't you? I "seek!"
Do you understand the difference?

7:41 PM, June 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never stated my belief. You just assumed I'm Christian. I just asked you if you were open to the possibility there may be some truth in both theories? You rushed to judgement and condemed my so-called "leaders" without even knowing my beliefs.

And by saying you seek a "higher truth" than the Bible, you are in effect saying the Bible is garbage. I just wondered what gives you the right to declare someone else's (not necessarily mine) beliefs are invalid?

9:23 PM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Why the coy masquerade, Anonymous. What are your beliefs? Who are your religious leaders? Are you a Christian? Do you believe in the 7-day Creation?
And here you are flip-flopping again back to the possibility of evolution. Do you or do you not believe that life on earth may have evolved?
Why play these games?
As to your last question, if I choose to declare certain beliefs invalid, I have that right as an American citizen. I have the right to speak my mind. If you are a Christian, then certainly you are familiar with the practice of invalidating others' beliefs. Christians routinely declare non-Christian beliefs invalid, as is done in the article on Dinosaurs and Creation Science that I referenced in my post. But they don't stop there. Literalist Christians declare other Christians' beliefs invalid.
Are you suggesting here that literalist Christians have that right but nobody else does? Or is it your view that nobody, not even Christians, have that right?
By the way, I have read through this dialog several times and I do not see where I have done what you accuse me of doing, namely, "to declare someone else's... beliefs are invalid." By the general standards of moral relativity, situational ethics, etc., we all are entitled to our own separate reality if that is how we choose to live. All I am saying is that I don't choose to hold that as the highest standard to which I endeavor to live. You live your life any way you wish, just do it in private and don't impose on me pious platitudes derived from short-sighted literalist interpretations of the Bible, or of any other so-called "scripture" if the Bible isn't your gig.
So what is your gig and again, why the coy masquerade?

10:30 PM, June 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the truth is a combination of both the Bible and evolution. I never flip flopped. I was asking why you were so hostile to others' beliefs, not sharing mine.

For someone who claims we are "all entitled to our own separate reality" you sure don't seem to be very respectful of other's beliefs. Why the hostility?

9:15 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Would you characterize Jesus as being hostile to the Pharasees?

10:06 PM, June 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Jesus had the power of God to strike them down and condemn them to death on the spot but chose not to, no I don't think he was "hostile".

11:26 AM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Bill said...

Well then... By your own standard, it wouldn't appear that I am hostile either, would it?

8:39 PM, June 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home