Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Scumbaggery

Somebody beat me to the punch.
I was watching an extensive documentary on YouTube about George Westinghouse, the inventor whose name became synonymous with electricity and electrical appliances along with GE (spun off from Tomas Edison's pursuits). The documentary describes Edison's competitive shenanigans against Westinghouse but it also tells about the New York bankers, JP Morgan in particular, who weaseled the Westinghouse company out of its rightful owner's hands which may well have been the beginning of the end for George Westinghouse's health and life.
The term "scumbaggery" came to mind but when I Googled it I found it to be a word already, at least in slang.
How many people think of Thomas Edison, inventor of the record player, as a scumbag? This documentary attributes the invention of the electric chair to Edison who wanted to prove the dangers of Westinghouse's AC, alternating current, you know the stuff that comes out of your electric outlets and ran virtually every household electrical appliance and every factory for the past hundred years. Nice move there, Thomas. Scumbag.

Maybe I have this all wrong though. I only watched the video one time. You can watch it yourself if you wish to check my observations:
WESTINGHOUSE (Full Documentary) | The Powerhouse Struggle of Patents & Business with Nikola Tesla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home