Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Saturday, November 20, 2021

The Jury

The verdict came down yesterday in the Kenosha, Wisconsin trial of Kyle Rittenhouse who was accused of murder for shooting his AR-15 in self defense during violent rioting in Kenosha last year. The jury had the courage to do the right thing no matter what the reaction might be by that element of society that, by virtue of their hatred for all things Donald Trump, have no respect for the law or for individual rights but rather feel entitled to riot, loot, and burn America's cities.

Enough said?

If not, one of my worst recurring dreams from my childhood was that burglars were inside the house I grew up in and did I have the right to defend myself and my home with a gun. Rationally the answer was clear to me. Of course I had that right. Imagine my surprise when the country I grew up in evolved into the kind of place where it was generally viewed that I had no such right. The prosecutor involved in this case, the actual official government representative in the case, basically tried to make that case, that the defendant did not have the right to use a gun in self defense.

The jury's decision was the right decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home