Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Sunday, March 05, 2023

Day Trippin'

I seem to be day tripping this afternoon. Just now I had this old Beatles song running through my head. Low and behold YouTube has a remastered version of it:

Day Tripper (Remastered 2015)

It has been said, and I am currently reading the book on this, that "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" but there were a few things that came along later on that were related to an event that took place the year I graduated from high school. I learned a few of life's lessons from this:

MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL--40 YEARS AGO DOCUMENTARY

I can lay no claim to this event. I was no part of it other than knowing some of the songs made popular by some of these groups during my high school years. But going to music festivals, no. Doing LSD and smoking pot, nope. Not even drinking although I did spend that summer, the summer of '67, working on "the drive" for Scott Paper Company up on and around Moosehead Lake, Maine and, on one or two occasions, accompanied workmates to Saint George, Quebec for some weekend bar time. Back then guys could read about LSD and the great Harvard Professor Timothy Leary in Playboy Magazine, and I did, but being around drugs was just not part of my life experience back then. I joined the Air Force that year to avoid Vietnam and it was in the later part of that enlistment that I did come across drugs, mainly pot and LSD, and those drugs were around when I came back home after my time was up four years later, but that's different, I think... maybe... maybe not... Maybe that does relate to this somehow.

Anyway, I was just sitting around today on a Sunday afternoon recuperating from shoveling snow in my old age and up popped this YouTube video of the legendary 1967 music festival in Monterey, California, the festival that according to this film gave birth in America to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and The Who. I did manage to see The Who at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield in the summer of '68 and yes indeed they did smash their guitars although I have no idea whether they themselves were smashed on LSD the way so many of the musicians appear to have been in Monterey in '67. I know I wasn't back then.

This video brings back some great memories but this far down the road I have to wonder how many of the problems we face now under the Biden White House and the "liberals" rose from the ashes of this moment in history. Did this festival open our eyes, or did it blind us? I have to wonder.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those guys that advocate for sending folks to prison for pot or psychedelics. That's an even deeper form of insanity than the drug experience itself and doesn't solve anything. Just sayin'.

Jesus saves...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home