Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Queer Beer

Years ago, I used to listen to the Steven King classic rock radio station in Bangor, Maine. I remember one year they spent a lot of time promoting an event to be held in Bangor where various vendors would assemble to display their wares in a banquet hall out behind a technical college that I attended back in the late '70s. The promotion was so good, so convincing, so persistent on the radio that I just had to go to the event, and I did. I even took my wife to it expecting it would be quite the event!

When we got there, she and I were both surprised at what a disappointment the show was. There were various vendors and yes, some products we hadn't heard about or seen before, but the event was a dud. There weren't that many vendors and there weren't that many people attending and the ones who did didn't seem to stay long. Neither did we so basically the day turned out to be a shopping day in Bangor - for rurals like us, a day in the "city".

We had been taken in by the power of advertising hype and that is the only reason I remember that event. I learned a precious lesson about "hype".

This spring a successful and very popular beer company decided to hype transgenderism and guess what happened? The whole world realized that hype sucks. No matter how hard you try, you can't hype what is fake and turn it into real.

Example

Kissing

Exit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home