Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, March 22, 2024

Me and PAN AM's First 747

 Late in 1967, back in the days of the Vietnam War and the dreaded draft, I joined the U.S. Air Force and trained in Illinois as an avionics technician on B-52 and KC-135 airplanes. After serving on a SAC base just outside Grand Forks, North Dakota. history in the making, in May of 1969 I was transferred to Fort Worth, Texas where I witnessed airshows featuring both the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels flying F-4 Phantoms - history in the making.

That summer I went TDY to Denver and while there went with a couple of buddies to the Red Rocks Amphitheater for the Peter Paul and Mary concert where they assured the audience that Puff the Majic Dragon had nothing to do with smoking pot. History in the making.

I was in Fort Worth to work in the avionics shop for the brand-new FB-111A swing-wing SAC fighter bomber. History in the making as the first ones were delivered from the General Dynamics plant just across the runway.

I was in Fort Worth when PAN AM flew its first 747 Jumbo Jet on a demonstration flight which included a landing and public open house at the new Dalas/Fort Worth airport. Hearing of this visit I drove to the airport and arrived just in time to drive around the end of the runway as this new airplane flew in for a landing, flying right over me in my old 64 Chevy.

I turned around and found my way to the flightline for the open house where I was able to board the plane and get the tour. I still have vague memories of the flight attendants. History in the making.

Forest Gump had nothing on me that year.

Here's a wonderful video of the history of that airplane:

N747PA - The Story of the 2nd 747 Built

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home