Mary
Back in the summer of 1969 when I was stationed for a couple of months in Denver in the summertime.
A friend of mine in the school scored four tickets to a Peter Paul and Mary Concert in the famed Red Rocks Amphitheater just outside of town. I was the designated driver in my red 1964 Impala.
I had heard plenty of Peter Paul and Mary but the Red Rocks Amphitheater was a new experience enhanced by an after-dark setting and a totally full stadium, people all over the rocks on either side, a pure magic experience.
Two years later I bought the album that Mary Travers herself released called "Mary".
I later lost that album in a fire and haven't heard it since. I just found it on YouTube in a format that has kept me overfocused on control while she again sings all these amazing songs of the folk era in the end of the sixties and into 1971. My album cover was all yellow with Mary for its title. YouTube is giving the album a different cover, but this is the Mary that I first heard in 1971 in my dorm and later in the chicken house on my AR4 speakers just living the dream.
The Song Is Love
I'll save the link to that YouTube recording. This seems to be a playlist starting with this as song one.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home