Eden Hill Journal

Ramblings and memories of an amateur wordsmith and philosopher

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maine, United States

Friday, August 24, 2007

Back Ahead

I was reading a blog just now and in a frame off to the right was a Ford advertisement. The caption has the Ford logo and says, "Bold Moves, Ford Fusion, Good looks go a long way." Under an action shot of the Fusion it says, "Up to 31 mpg."
Forgive me here for being so old, but don't I recall my brother or somebody pointing out to me that the full-sized Chevy Caprice back around 1979 or 1980 could get something like 28 or 29 mpg on the highway? I think they had the 3.8 V-6 way back then but I think this 28 or 29 mpg was with the small V-8. My in-laws had a newer Caprice even more massive than the '79 and that's what they claimed too, highway mileage in the high 20s.
For a decade or more Chevy has been saying the Impalla got in the low 30s on the highway. That's a Fusion-like car with a peppy V-6. So I ask you, Ford, what's the big deal? And I ask you this. If you actually have real engineers working for you, why is that 31 mpg and not 41 or even 51? Why fuel economy that was par for the course twenty-eight years ago?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home